Design Excellence Awards 2021
Quick Links on This Page: About DEA 2021 / Key Dates / Benefits / Categories & Definitions / Jury Panel / ID of the Year / Project of the Year / Entry Fees / Media Coverage / Supporters & Partners / Enquiries
About DEA 2021
The Design Excellence Awards is the leading Awards program in Asia Pacific that celebrates interior design excellence. It is organised by the Interior Design Confederation Singapore (IDCS) the professional body representing Interior Designers in Singapore, supported by the government agencies Design Singapore and Enterprise Singapore.
These awards conferred upon winners bring with them acclamation from their peers and press coverage from the Design Media such as Dexigner, Home & Décor, Business Times, The Luxury Channel, JetGala, Epicure to name a few, and carry both national and international industry importance.
The judging process is based on the scoring of projects anonymously, transparently and confidentially. Jurors are eminent, award winning and industry acclaimed Design professionals appointed by the Interior Design Confederation Singapore (IDCS).
In January 2021, the APAC Insider's fifth annual Singapore Business Awards, announced that the Interior Design Confederation Singapore was awarded the “Best Interior Design Practitioner Support Service 2021”, recognising the significant contribution the Interior Design Confederation Singapore has made to the Interior Design Industry at a national and regional level.
The Interior Design Excellence Awards (I-DEA) acknowledges design firms and practitioners whom have achieved international excellence in their design practice.
The Spatial Design Awards (SPADE) honours design institutions and students whose works demonstrate strong design thinking and new, exciting spatial design concepts.
|Media Launch:||12 Mar 2021, 3pm SGT|
|Early Bird Special:||12 Mar – 14 May 2021|
|Submissions:||12 Mar 2021 – 31 Aug 2021|
|Judging:||6 Sep – 26 Sep 2021|
|Designers’ Choice Voting:||31 May – 31 Aug 2021|
|Shortlisted Winners Notified:||8 Oct – 15 Oct 2021|
|Virtual Awards Evening:||3 Dec 2021, 7:30pm – 9:00pm (SGT)|
Submission closes on 31 Aug, in
I-DEA Finalist Entries Benefits
1. Annual IDCS Professional Membership for one person (value $120)
2. 3-month Marketplace posting on IDCS website (value $600)
3. Media Coverage from our Media Partners
4. One Award Certificate
5. One Award Trophy
6. Winners banner for email signature
7. Project Profile on DEA 2021 Winners Awards Gallery
8. Winners mention on IDCS Website
9. 1 e-ticket to Virtual Awards Evening on Fri 3 Dec 2021
SPADE Finalist Entries Benefits
1. Annual IDCS Student Membership for one person (value $10)
2. 1-month Marketplace posting on IDCS website (value $200)
3. Media Coverage – Best Student Category
4. One Award Certificate
5. Winners banner for email signature
6. Project Profile on DEA 2021 Winners Awards Gallery
7. Winners mention on IDCS Website
8. 1 e-ticket to Virtual Awards Evening on Fri 3 Dec 2021
Interior Design Excellence Awards (I-DEA)
- Open to design firms and/or designers practicing spatial design-related discipline globally.
Submission entry must be a completed built project between 1st Jan 2018 – 31st Dec 2020.
Total of 26 main categories including sub-categories:
- Best Exhibition Design
Best F&B Design | ≤ 2000 sqf
Best F&B Design | 2001 - 5000 sqf
Best F&B Design | ≥ 5000 sqf
Best Hospitality Design | ≤ 50 rooms
Best Hospitality Design | 51 - 200 rooms
Best Hospitality Design | ≥ 201 rooms
Best Hospitality Design | Public Areas
Best Public Design
Best Residential Design | Apartment ≤ 1000 sqf
Best Residential Design | Apartment 1001 – 2000 sqf
Best Residential Design | Apartment ≤ 2001 sqf
Best Residential Design | Private Houses
Best Retail Design | ≤ 2000 sqf
Best Retail Design | 2001 - 5000 sqf
Best Retail Design | ≥ 5001 sqf
Best Sustainable Design – RETURN
Best Workplace Design | ≤ 2000 sqf
Best Workplace Design | 2001 – 5000 sqf
Best Workplace Design | ≥ 5001 sqf
I-DEA Colour Award
Emerging ID of the Year
Interior Design Firm of the Year – CHANGE FROM TOP 3 ID FIRMS OF THE YEAR
Interior Designer of the Year – Designers’ Choice Award *
Project of the Year – Designers’ Choice Award * – NEW
Best Design Media – NEW
* Designers’ Choice Award: These categories will have nominated projects by IDCS Council and peer voting for the winners. Voting opens on 31 May 2021 and closes on 31 Aug 2021.
Spatial Design Awards (SPADE)
- Open to students currently enrolled in a Design Institution pursuing spatial design-related disciplines globally.
Submission entry must be a completed Institutional project between 1st Jan 2018 – 31st Mar 2021
Total of 9 categories:
- Exhibition Design
- F&B Design
- Hospitality Design
- Public Design
- Residential Design
- Retail Design
- Sustainable Design
- Workplace Design
- Best Student Award
- Exhibition Design: Gallery exhibitions, museum exhibitions, promotional displays, set design, trade exhibitions, display suites, marquees, installations, merchandising, emergency relief responses, pop up shops and cafes, temporary installations etc
- F&B Design: Cafes, bars, restaurants
- Hospitality Design: Accommodation premises, hotel & villas, guest rooms & suites, hotel lobbies, day spas, swimming pools, casinos, clubs, cinemas, fitness centres, etc
- Public Design: Galleries, museums, concert halls, theatres, exhibition venues, places of worship, educational institutions, medical institutions, libraries, community centres, consulates, law courts, parliamentary buildings, airports, railway stations, etc
- Residential Design: Apartments, penthouses, private houses, housing developments, multi-unit dwellings, show-flats, show-units, show-houses etc.
- Retail Design: Shops, retail outlets, showrooms, department stores, food markets, shopping centres, hairdressers, sales gallery, etc.
- Sustainable Design: This award recognises projects that best showcase the use of sustainable materials and finishes in a building and/or development.
- Workplace Design: Offices, studios, warehouses, factories, doctors and dentists rooms, etc.
- I-DEA Colour Award: This Award recognises projects that display a creative use of colour, using materials and finishes that enhance the overall interior design experience
- Emerging ID Firm:
- Participating firm must be an existing live company incorporated between 1st Jan 2016 – 1st Jan 2021 and the principal must be 40 years of age or less.
- Participating firm must submit at least one (1) entry in Design Excellence Awards 2021 under one of I-DEA categories.
ID Firm of the Year:
- Participating firm must be an existing live company incorporated before 1st Jan 2016
- Participating firm must submit at least one (1) entry in Design Excellence Awards 2020 under one of I-DEA categories.
- Submission of supporting documents to include wins from other design awards, notable completed & built spatial design-related projects, participation in design related events / activities, etc
Best Design Media: This award recognizes the Design publication that best supports, promotes and influences the interior design industry in Asia Pacific.
Interior Designer of the Year 2021
IDCS has shortlisted 6 internationally acclaimed Interior Designers to be nominated for the title of Interior Designer of the Year 2021 - Designer's Choice for the Design Excellence Awards 2021. Cast your 3 votes for your favourite Interior Designer of the Year 2021:
- Cherin Tan, LAANK
- Colin Seah, MOD
- Kelly Hoppen, Kelly Hoppen Interiors
- Lyndon Neri & Rossana Hu, Neri & Hu
- Steve Leung, Steve Leung Design Group
- Terence Ngan & Ed Ng, AB Concept
Project of the Year 2021
Cast your 3 votes for your favourite Interior Design Project of the Year 2021:
- The Hari Hotel, Hong Kong 2020 | Tara Bernerd & Partners
- Citiwealth Hub, Singapore 2021 | Colin Seah - Ministry of Design
- Ulaman Eco Retreat, Bali 2020 | Inspiral Architecture & Design Studio
- Nan Bei Restaurant, Bangkok 2019 | AvroKO
- Hotel the Mitsui, Kyoto 2020 | Andre Fu Studio
- Yi Restaurant, Raffles Hotel, Singapore 2019 | Aedas
- 50% Cloud Artists Lounge Mile City, China 2020 | Cheng Chung Design
Media Launch Recording on 25 March 2021