IDCS & SICC Mentorship Pilot Programme
Build your career, professional skills, and networks with the IDCS & SICC Mentorship Pilot Programme.
IDCS and Singapore International Chamber of Commerce (SICC) are excited to announce our joint inaugural Mentorship Pilot Programme. The key objective of this pilot programme is to introduce and facilitate local business and professional leaders (mentors) with a next generation creative professionals, entrepreneurs, students, and graduates (mentees).
The program aims to foster the collaboration and innovation culture that will drive the knowledge economy and provide jobs that meet the changing needs of the Interior design and business economy, while providing the future generation with the skills to build confidence, improve relationships, increase motivation, and build strong networks.
Quick Links on This Page: How It Works / Key Dates / Costs / Terms of Reference / Application Process / Contact
Why be a Mentee
- Build your professional and personal skills
- Seek guidance on career progression or transitions
- Connect with like-minded people and expand your network
- Gain an outside perspective to career challenges
- Learn from experienced professionals from different backgrounds
- Gain knowledge on how to grow your business internationally
Why be a Mentor
- Develop your mentoring and coaching skills
- Give back to aspiring professionals
- Reflect on your own career goals and practices
- Network with other mentors and mentees
- Gain & share knowledge with/from creative professionals in the interior design industry
- Share your knowledge, experience & skills with the next generation
“IDCS is excited to collaborate with the Singapore International Chamber of Commerce to create our inaugural, joint Mentorship Program. IDCS as a leading interior design association in Singapore to serve our members by creating new programmes that help our Members develop new skills, strengths, build knowledge and business networks so our members who are students, young emerging interior designers, business owners and global design practices can thrive in this ever-changing business landscape. Who better than SICC to work together with IDCS to launch our Mentorship Programme together and draw on our collective strengths” in a Design and innovation economy?“
Cameron Woo, IDCS President & Cameron Woo Design Principal
“All of us can do with help as we journey through our lives and especially as we build our businesses. Business mentoring is all about helping each of us find answers to our challenges ourselves helped along by a mentor - a fellow human being who has no connection with our business. The secret sauce is the mentor brings his or her experience to bear in talking with us about the challenges we face and helping us uncover a way forward. The mentor-mentee relationship is confidential – as confidential as the relationship we have with our doctors, lawyers and spiritual advisors.”
Victor Mills, SICC Chief Executive
How It Works
The IDCS and SICC Mentorship Pilot Program runs for 12 months from 1st October 2022 – 30th September 2023. Mentors can be in any profession identified by SICC and must have a passion for uplifting the next generation, while the mentees in the pilot will be C suite entrepreneurs who are interior design business owners and members of IDCS. For the pilot only 7-10 Mentors and 7-10 Mentees will be shortlisted.
If the Pilot is successful the programme may be extended to include interior design students, young graduates, entrepreneurs, business owners and employees.
|Mentorship Pilot Programme Launch:||Fri 24 Jun 2022|
|Enrolment Application:||Fri 24 Jun 2022 – Fri 29 Jul 2022|
|Shortlist Process (for Mentees):||Mon 25th Jul 2022 – Fri 5 Aug 202|
|Mentor and Mentee Online Bio-Sharing:||Fri 2 – 16 Sep 2022|
|Meet & Greet (face to face):||Fri 23 Sep 2022, 3-5pm SGT
SICC Chamber’s Members Room
|Regular Mentee & Mentor Meetings:||Monthly (agreed and set by Mentor & Mentee)|
|Evaluation & Review:||Fri 28 Oct 2022 (by phone)
Fri 27 Jan 2023 (by questionnaire)
Fri 26 May 2023 (by questionnaire)
|End of Programme Celebration Event:||Fri 29 Sep 2023|
|Mentorship Pilot Programme period:||Fri 23 Sep 2022 – Sat 30 Sep 2023|
- For the inaugural Pilot there will be a fee of SGD$50 per month x 12 months = SGD$600 to participate in the Mentorship Pilot Programme.
- Should the Mentee wish to extend the programme beyond the twelve month period during the Pilot and ongoing programme, additional fees may apply and be payable to IDCS and the Mentor.
- Thereafter, should the Mentorship Pilot be approved as an ongoing programme, then the fee will be SGD$100 per month x 12 months = SGD$1200 to participate in the Mentorship Programme.
Terms of Reference
- This pilot project provides C suite entrepreneurs from IDCS (the Mentees) with the opportunity of being mentored by 7 business Mentors from SICC.
- All conversations between Mentors and Mentees are confidential to them. Both Mentors and Mentees agree not to divulge any information concerning the mentoring content and process to any third parties.
- Mentors and Mentees will have an opportunity to meet face to face on Fri 23 Sep 2022 at 3-5pm at SICC Chamber’s Members Room.
- Mentors have the final choice of whom they wish to mentor.
- Mentors may choose to mentor more than one Mentee.
- The suggested mentoring period is 1 year from when the Mentors and Mentees meet but this is something they will decide.
- Biodata/CV of both Mentors and Mentees to be submitted to SICC and IDCS by Fri 29 Jul 2022 to enrol in the Mentorship Pilot Programme.
- Only IDCS Members are eligible to be Mentees of this programme.
- Only SICC Members are eligible to be Mentors of this programme.
Step 1: Apply
Applications open on Fri 24 June 2022. IDCS Members who are interested in bceoming Mentees should complete the online application form by Fri 29 July 2022. SICC Members who are interested in becoming Mentors should email [email protected]
Step 2: Review & Selection process
Applicants will be invited to an interview with the Mentoring Committee to discuss their application and understand more about how they can benefit from participating in the programme.
IDCS will share the BIOS of the shortlisted Mentees with the volunteer Mentors, so Mentees and Mentors can identify potential partners they may wish to consider prior to the Meet and Greet. For Mentees it is best to choose at least 2 mentors they may wish to work with so you have options.
We strongly encourage getting in contact with your potential mentoring partner prior to attending the Meet & Greet even if you are not sure that your pairing with your mentee/mentor is what you initially wanted. Upon meeting at the face to face Meet & Greet on Fri 23 Sep 2022, if the Mentee and Mentor are not satisfied with the partnership, then an alternate match can subsequently be organised.
Step 3: Meet & Greet (face to face)
All participants will be invited to the face to face Meet and Greet hosted by SICC. This marks the official start of the program and is a great opportunity to meet other mentors and mentees, get to know your mentoring partner more, and find out more about the programme.
Step 4: Contact between mentoring pairs
Mentors and mentees are encouraged to establish goals for the program and schedule regular meetings throughout the 12 months to ensure a successful relationship. Both the mentee and mentor are responsible for ongoing contact with each other and decide on the best format of communicating: email, phone, Zoom or face-to-face meetings. We recommend at least one meeting per month for the duration of the program.
Step 5: Evaluation & Review
IDCS and SICC will be undertaking regular evaluations and reviews throughout the Pilot. The first evaluation will be by Phone on Fri 28 Oct 2022 where IDCS will be calling the Mentees and SICC will be calling the Mentors. We will also be sending out an online questionnaire on Fri 27 Jan 2023, and on Fri 26 May 2023.
We also encourage participants to provide regular feedback on their experience and offer suggestions for improvements that we can make to the programme.
Step 6: End of programme event
The Pilot Programme will conclude with a celebratory event hosted by both IDCS & SICC on Fri 29 Sep 2023. Another great networking opportunity, this event gives participants the chance to share their experiences and reflect on the goals they set at the beginning.
If you have any queries about the programme before applying, feel free to contact us on [email protected].